Fire destroys business establishment in Hopkins

By
Updated: September 8, 2015

Harry Arzu reporting…

“The thatched portion of the roof of a popular night club here in Hopkins Village was destroyed by fire last night. The inside of the 30 X 60 wooden structure also sustained damages as a result of the fire. The owner of the business establishment Mario Augustine spoke to Love News.

Mario Augustine – Fire victim

“Well I was right here doing some work when I saw fire blazing from the eastern side on the block in front of the house. I got concerned and I hung around because I was to go to a meeting so I decided to stay here and monitor this thing.”

Harry Arzu – Love News

‘You mean there was a bush fire somewhere?

Mario Augustine – Fire victim

“Yes on the other block coming from the eastern side. Some neighbors were burning some bushes there and it got out of control so that is what sparked over here and caught the roof. I was monitoring the whole thing but it caught on so fast that I couldn’t do anything much. I tried it with a bucket of water that I had but that wasn’t enough. So in a quick time I saw the neighbors coming and so we had problems with water pressure that slowed us down from getting the fire extinguished. When we did get water the fire had already gutted the entire roof of the main building. We managed to shove out most of the contents that we have inside like the music system and other things but some of the chairs got burned. It’s not a very big damage but it’s still a loss. For a poor person it’s a loss.

Harry Arzu – Love News

“Augustine also said that the business was not insured and his estimated loss sums up to some $20,000. Augustine is seeking the public’s assistance in an effort to rebuild, he can be reached at telephone number 667-0291.