Former Boxer Loses Home to Fire

By
Updated: November 21, 2016

Former Boxer, Carlton Bowers, needs your help tonight. His house on Red Bell Street off Western Avenue in Belize City was destroyed by fire on Friday night. Today when we encountered Bowers at the site where his house one stood, he told us that he lost everything. Hipolito Novelo reports.

HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING

“Fifty nine year old Carlton Bowers is without a home tonight. His house on Western Avenue burnt down on Friday night. He left his house sometime after six o’clock to buy food and when he returned, every single thing he owned had been destroyed by the inferno.”

CARLTON BOWERS

“When I came the told me that my house was on fire and when I came I met the firemen and the fire was already out but everything was already lost. I was looking to see if I could save anything but everything was lost. I lost my bed , my table and my chair and even my saw that I had.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING

“Bowers had been living in the house for more than fifteen years. He is a former boxer who was admired for his skills in the ring and he is well liked by his neighbors. So question now is: was it arson?”

CARLTON BOWERS

“I was at home a while before but it was clear, I didn’t light any candles or anything so I could say that nothing was lit.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Did the house have electricity?”

CARLTON BOWERS

“No it didn’t have any.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“But you don’t believe anyone intentionally lit your house on fire or do you believe it was arson?”

CARLTON BOWERS

“I would say arson because children like to play around and sometimes they light fires.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING

“Operations Manager at the National Fire Service, Benisford Matura, told the media that it was not arson.”

BENISFORD MATURA

“He did not have any power to the building so his only means of lighting was the use of candles. Apparently Mr.Bower came home at about 6:30 he said he took a bath relaxed and left out his house about an hour after and at about 9:20 we got the call for the house fire. Apparently Mr.Bowers did not out the candle he used as a source of light, if he did out it he didn’t out it properly and the candle eventually made the house catch fire.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING

“While Bowers attempts to get back on this own two feet, he is staying with a family member. If you would like to assist this former boxer in any way possible, you can call him at cell phone number,  653-1529. Reporting for Love News, I am Hipolito Novelo.”