Unattended Fire Hearth Leads to House Fire

By
Updated: April 18, 2017

On Sunday afternoon just before two o’clock, a fire ignited at a house on Elston Kerr Street in Belize.  Police officials were called out to the area where they saw a room inside a wooden bungalow structure engulfed in flames and being controlled by fire fighters.  Station Officer, Oren Smith spoke to the media of their preliminary findings.

OREN SMITH

“Two units were dispatched to that location. On arrival on the scene smoke was seen coming from a 10X20 wooden structure with zinc roofing elevated approximately 1 foot of the ground. Following a brief size up the fire department got into operation to extinguish the fire. The fire was later brought under control and extinguished and as a result of the fire the west section of the structure received fire damage. The structure was owned by one Ms.|Faber and it was not insured. Preliminary investigations revealed that the fire originated from a fire hearth located in close proximity on the west exterior of the structure.”

Smith says he believes it was a case of an unattended fire on the fire hearth.  The contents destroyed by the fire were estimated at twelve thousand five hundred dollars.  No one was inside the house at the time and no injuries were reported.  The house belongs to 52-year-old, Dawn Faber of a Raccoon Street address.