The brutal attack on the Yanaai family has caught the attention of US media. Two media crews from the USA that specialize in Japanese news came to Belize to get a briefing from the police and report on the attack on the Japanese father and son. The officer in charge of CIB for Belize City, Alejandro Cowo says that the perpetrators had cased the house before the attack.
ASP ALejandro Cowo: “Police has been in the Buttonwood Bay area since the incident happened where several surveillance cameras have been viewed. Up to now there was only one person that was detained. He was interviewed and to be released because of no direct evidence of his involvement in this murder.”
Reporter: “So the surveillance footage they are offering nothing tangible?”
ASP ALejandro Cowo: “It is something that we are still looking at individually. There is a number of them that we are viewing at this moment. Mr. Yaanai is still admitted at the hospital in a stable condition. We have established that it was a robbery. From Friday I informed you that there was a waste bag containing an undisclosed amount of cash and other personal items were stolen from him. Based on what we have gathered so far we have known that apparently there were persons already in the immediate area before the incident happened and they came back again the second time. We do believe that there are certain numbers that this is their modus operandi however we have to take into consideration that it is a group of them and not only one individual. What we have gathered so far is that it was four of them: three of them went inside of the house and there was vehicle outside waiting with someone inside the vehicle.”
ASP Cowo says the police department had viewed surveillance footage from various sources in the neighborhood.