Butane and lit cigarettes can be a deadly combination. That is what one man proved yesterday in San Isidro Village, Toledo District. Inspector Wilfredo Ferrufino noted that only minor injuries were sustained in this incident.
Inspector Wilfredo Ferrufino: “They have received information of an an explosion at the Butane Gas Depot, Garcia’s Butane Gas Depot. On arrival they spoke to persons out there and they gathered that Jose Thomas Morales, a 65 year old Taxi driver was at the Gas Depot putting Butane in his 2004 Ford 350 van and whilst doing that he lighted a cigarette and that caused the fumes to spark the explosion. The vehicle was extensively damaged by the fire and there was no major injuries. I think the Taxi driver Mr. Morales received minor burns and facial hair was burned, there was a passenger in the van at the time but he escaped unhurt. Fire Department personal from Independence assisted in extinguishing the flames.”
The incident occurred yesterday.