Listen Live On Our Live Stream or Tune To Our Frequencies: 88.3 FM | 88.9 FM | 94.7 FM | 95.1 FM | 98.1 FM | 98.5 FM

Accused murderer remanded

Thirty-seven year old Anthony Bennett was charged with the murder of 30 year old Erbin Enrique Garrido when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford. He is accused of killing Garrido on Tuesday night. The police said that when they responded to a report of shots being fired in the Set Site area of Belize City they went to a green wooden house 4 feet from off the ground. They said that when they went into the bathroom they saw Garrido lying face up, apparently dead, with a gunshot wound to the left side of his chest. Initial investigation by the police revealed that a lone gunman entered the house and fired a single shot. Bennett was detained the following day. According to the police Bennett was identified as the shooter by a witness who said he has known Bennett for about 5 years. Today Inspector Wilfredo Ferrufino told the press that investigators have yet to establish a motive.

Insp. Wilfred Ferrufino: “Motive at this time is not certain- I don’t have any confirmation of motive and I wouldn’t want to go into the details regarding to that case.”

Reporter: I know from people in the neighborhood that I’ve heard from that Mr.Garrido may have been a peddler of drugs or marijuana specifically- might this have been the reason for  what happened?

Insp. Wilfred Ferrufino: “I don’t want to go into the motive or any speculation at this point. I don’t have any details in regards to that so I don’t want to comment on it.”

Reporter: With regard to the alleged perpetrator are you all able to say how you all,- it’s a remarkable arrest within 20 hours he was in custody and charged. It’s an extremely fast turn around are you all able to say how you were able to move so decisively and quickly on the prime suspect?

Insp. Wilfred Ferrufino: “Well it was good investigation by the investigators and it was a team effort and that then brought about the necessary evidence to go and charge for murder, that is all I can say in regards to that.”

Bennett was remanded into custody until August 17.