A house fire in Belize City early this morning left almost a dozen persons displaced. The tragic incident occurred on Holy Emmanuel Street in the St. Martin’s area and resulted in three homes being destroyed. Fortunately, no one was hurt but the families have been left devasted because they’ve lost everything. Reporter Vejea Alvarez visited the scene and tells us more.
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: Tonight, five adults and six children are left with only the clothes on their backs after all their belongings were completely destroyed in an early morning fire. The blaze broke out just before 2 o’clock on Holy Emmanuel Street and completely destroyed the three wooden structures this family called home. The fire started at the back of the residence just below the bedroom of 37-year-old Kamera Belisle, who recounted the heart-wrenching moment when she sprang into action to save her kids.
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “The fire started from against the side of my house where my bed was. By the time I woke up I was already choking in smoke because yes I am a hard sleeper so I didn’t hear exactly when it started until it was probably too late. I felt the heat by my bed there so all I could have done at the time was get up and I grabbed my baby that was sleeping in the next bed next to me and then my daughter was in the front room so we just grabbed them and we came outside. We didn’t have time to save anything at all because the house caught fire so fast and then immediately after that we called the fire truck, they took a little while to come. When they came they came with a little bit of water as usual and had to be looking for water and then my mother’s house ended up catching fire after that and my sister’s house caught so basically we are left with nothing.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: While no one was injured during the fire, the family lost all their belongings, and according to Belisle the horrendous experience has left her children traumatized.
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “It was very scary and traumatizing. Right now my two kids are out there and they are still in shock they can’t even talk. My grandson all of our things everything was just destroyed. It just hurts so much. It’s left us devastated. We had just invested in our house. Me personally I just got a loan to put on an extension behind my house not even a month ago and all of that is gone. The same thing my sister did she just fixed her ceiling for her house and now everything is gone.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: The fire department has attributed the cause of the blaze to an electrical fault. The family says they did not have a legal electrical connection and were supplied by their neighbor, whose home almost received minor damages.
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “It could have been worse because the neighbor he was actually having to wet his house to make it not finish catch like that.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: How long would you say it took for the three homes to be destroyed like this how quick was that?
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “Maybe about 40 minutes. Because it’s a board house.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: Because it was late no one could really help.
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “No no one couldn’t really help or do anything but get out and try to save their life.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: The Belisle family is now faced with the harsh reality of rebuilding their homes from the ground up. Belisle says that any donations will be greatly appreciated particularly for the children who lost their school supplies.
Kamera Belisle, Lost home in fire: “We need clothes, we need everything basically because we have kids at high school, I have a high daughter at second form, my baby is in Infant one and their schoolbags everything me and myself I’m a student I lost my school bag and everything too. All my work supplies even my work uniform burnt up.”
Vejea Alvarez, Love FM News: If you are willing and able to assist the fire victims they can be reached at 629- 6511 or 631-6605.
Those numbers again are 629- 6511 631-6605.