Belize Launches 16 Days of Activism as Domestic Violence Spike Raises Alarm

Belize Launches 16 Days of Activism as Domestic Violence Spike Raises Alarm

Today marks the official start of the global 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence, but here in Belize, the campaign opens against the troubling backdrop of an uptick in domestic violence cases in recent weeks. The rise in reports has reignited national concern and drawn attention back to several horrific incidents earlier this year, including the tragic death of 34-year-old Orange Walk mother of six, Angelita Magana.  On October 20, Belizeans awoke to the devastating news that Briceno had perished in a house fire deliberately set by her ex-common-law husband, Francis Godoy. Speaking today at the launch of the 16 Days of Activism, Minister of Human Development Thea Garcia-Ramirez reflected on the case and the broader crisis facing the country. She acknowledged that the government has a critical role in creating stronger systems but stressed that lasting change requires “a whole-of-society approach.” Garcia-Ramirez said efforts are already underway to strengthen legislation, including a review of the Domestic Violence Act, to better protect victims and hold perpetrators accountable.

Garcia also highlighted the ongoing work of the Special Envoy for the Development of Families and Children, noting improvements in the policing approach to GBV cases, from professional conduct during investigations to better treatment of survivors seeking help. But she admitted that Belize’s response systems, though improved over time, remain imperfect and require continued strengthening.

As the 16 Days of Activism begin, the Government of Belize, led by the Ministry of Human Development, Families & Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs, reaffirms its commitment to a zero-tolerance policy toward gender-based violence.  The campaign serves as both a call to action and a somber reminder that behind the statistics are real families, real loss, and lives cut short.

Related post

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at Turneffe Atoll

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at…

The Government of Belize has signed a major conservation agreement aimed at permanently protecting approximately seventeen thousand acres of nationally significant…
PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

Prime Minister John Briceño says Cabinet’s rejection of BTL’s proposed acquisition of Speednet Communications was a collective decision and not one…
Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

While the joint unions are calling for the immediate removal of BTL Chairman Mark Lizarraga, Prime Minister John Briceño is questioning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *