A resident of St Margaret’s Village, Cayo District is dead, and his family is suspecting foul play. Augustin Ramos Rivas was socializing with other men at a Chinese store in the village when things took a deadly turn. Cayo Correspondent Fem Cruz has been following this story since last night when the incident began developing. Here is his report.
Fem Cruz, Cayo Correspondent: Belmopan Police and CIB personnel are investigating the sudden death of Augustin Ramos Rivas of St.Margaret Village Hummingbird Highway who passed away last night at the Western Regional Hospital in Belmopan. Love News travelled to the village seeking answers and spoke to Ivory Guytan, one of the village council members who shed some light on this unfortunate incident.
Ivory Guyan, St.Margaret Village Council Member: ”
“Mr.Augustin Ramirez along with some friends were socializing at Ping An Li Store. Suddenly they began experiencing difficulty breathing and foaming through the mouth. A good Samaritan from the village assisted two of them and rushed them to the Western Regional Hospital just after six where unfortunately Mr.Augustin Ramirez died and Manuel Gonzales was transported to the KHMH in a critical condition. Marlon Sahet, the third man, was on the ground almost for two hours waiting for the police to come and take him to the hospital. We understand that apparently they had drank poison. It has raised serious concerns among the residents because Ping An Li Store is a store but has also become a socializing place for people; they buy their liquor and consume it there and almost every weekend that happens, they drink until they can’t go anymore, they sleep there for hours at Ping An Li Store. On behalf of the village council I want to thank the good Samaritan who took the men to the Western Regional Hospital and I also want to thank the villagers that have come together and assisted the village council with this unfortunate incident. I also want to ask our villager’s assistance to help with Mr.Augustin Ramirez’ burial because he has no relatives here in St.Margaret and in Belize.”
Assistant Commissioner of Police Joseph Myvett spoke on this investigation saying that the suspicion of intentional poisoning is not the focus of the investigation. According to Myvett the men had been drinking for six consecutive days in the village.
ACP Joseph Myvette, Head of National Crimes Investigation Branch: “That person who had passed away is one Augustin Rivas, 59 years and the other two persons are Marlon Saget,27, and Manuel Gonzales,64 years. What the police know so far is that these persons are residents of St.Margaret’s Village on the Hummingbird Highway and that they were at an open lot outside of an establishment and may have ingested some liquid which caused them to be foaming. Investigators did visit the scene last night and are back again on the scene this morning to conduct further investigations into this matter. What we were also told is that these persons have been drinking for the last six days consecutively in that area so we are trying to determine whether or not whatever it is that was ingested was ingested accidentally or otherwise.”
Reporter: Do we know where they obtained that drink from ?
ACP Joseph Myvette, Head of National Crimes Investigation Branch: “That’s what we’re trying to do at this point.”
Reporter: Were investigators able to retrieve anything at all ? Any liquid from the scene ?
ACP Joseph Myvette, Head of National Crimes Investigation Branch: “None last night hence the reason they were back early this morning on the scene. Mr.Saget was treated and released he’s the younger of them he’s 27-years-old whilst Mr.Gonzalez is at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in a critical condition.”
Myvette said that a toxicology report has been requested. Our news team is following this story.