A total of 60 residents of Douglas Village, Orange Walk District have been forced to evacuate their homes due to this past weekend’s flooding. According to the Chairman of the Village Jairo Osorio the flooding started on Friday. Since then he has been aiding people in evacuating their homes. Osorio says he has been appealing to the Government and the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) to assist them but their cries have gone unanswered. Love News understands that the shelters the villagers are using have run out of food and water.
Jairo Osorio, Chairman, Douglas Village: “At this point in time we have shelter in San Pablo the community school which is holding about six families. Right now the school at San Juan Village shelter is holding about twelve to fourteen families and from those sixty some seek help from family members and families from San Juan, San Pablo, San Jose so they evacuated to those villages. From Friday I contacted the coordinator for NEMO Orange Walk and when I informed them I am evacuating persons he told me that assistance normally takes three days to reach but now it really concerns me because its already four days and we haven’t received any assistance from the government especially from NEMO. Well right now I received some good news that they are actually moving right now, I just got a call that they are going to be handing over some food right now. I just hope that the assistance starts reaching us because we really need it.”
Chairman Jairo Osorio has also made an appeal to the public in assisting the families that had to be evacuated from their homes. Persons who wish to donate can call him at 672-0669.