CLICK PLAY FOR LIVE STREAMING || REFRESH YOUR BROWSER IF STREAM IS NOT LOADING

 
Listen Live On Our Live Stream or Tune To Our Frequencies: 88.3 FM | 88.9 FM | 94.7 FM | 95.1 FM | 98.1 FM | 98.5 FM

Family Displaced After Losing House to Fire

A family of four from Bella Vista Village in the Toledo District has been displaced after a fire destroyed their home on Saturday. Correspondent Harry Arzu has the story.

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent: A three bedroom house was destroyed by fire on Saturday afternoon in Bella Vista village here in the Toledo district. Kevin Tejada, who lived in the house with his common-law wife, told Love News that the fire started from a garbage site that was near the lumber and concrete house. He tells us more. 

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: Well I was at my store right, on the next side of the road and then I just heard somebody say “Fire! Fire! The house is catching fire” and so we hurriedly ran down and tried to throw water on it.

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Where did the fire start from?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: Like this here. Right beside here. Right here. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent: Where? What was right here?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: I think garbage. It might have been somebody who set on the garbage. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:   Was that a room?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: Just, we just throw garbage on that place there. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  So it started from a garbage dump? And then what you had here? 

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: This is where the house starts but this was wood. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  It was a wooden structure?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: From right there it started. Yeah, and then it caught to the top and inside the house. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  So what would you say is the total cost of your loss? 

 

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: Must be more than $55,000.

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Was this house insured?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: No it wasn’t insured. Any assistance will help a lot. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Like for example, what?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim: Well I can’t ask for anything. Just anything, anything. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  And if they want to reach you? What number can they reach you at?

Kevin Tejada, House Fire Victim:My number is 614-9546. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Ashley Rodriguez, who plays on the National Team, lost her passport. 

Ashley Rodriguez, National Senior Football Team: When the fire came on, I was not here. I was at Cayo because I had a football match for *Inaudible* but then we found out about the house burning down but, sadly my passport was in there. Yeah. So it got burned down and my passport had my visa in there as well. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Okay and that’s what you use to travel to go and play right?

Ashley Rodriguez, National Senior Football Team: Yes sir. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Ok so what would you want to happen in relation to that?

Ashley Rodriguez, National Senior Football Team:  I just want to get back my passport and my Visa so I have to go and report what happened so I can get back my passport and visa as quickly as possible. 

Harry Arzu, Stann Creek Correspondent:  Reporting for Love News from Bella Vista Village, I am Harry Arzu.