Fire in Belize City destroys two homes and damages two others
Tonight, two Belize City residents are displaced after their homes were completely destroyed by a blaze early this morning. Around 4 o’clock, 55-year-old Clifton Defour was informed by his neighbor that his home was on fire. Defour quickly went to alert and evacuate his mother, 81-year-old Sheila Garbutt, from her home which is also located in the same yard. However, Garbutt’s home and a wooden structure that is occupied by another son received partial damage. Fortunately, no one was injured in the blaze but Defour and his neighbor, 29-year-old Sheran Yam, both lost everything. Jamil Garbutt, Defour’s brother, says the family believes the fire was the result of an electrical fault caused by a damaged powerline.