7145 Slaughterhouse Road
Belize City, Belize Central America
(+501) 203-2098 or 203-0528
Call Us for More Info or Questions
Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Our Main Office Opening Hours
 
 
 
 
 
 
UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY
PEOPLE'S UNITED PARTY
BELIZE PROGRESSIVE PARTY
BELIZE PEOPLE'S FRONT
Number of Seats Won:
5 Candidates
26 Candidates
0 Candidates
0 Candidates
Total Votes/Percentage:
57,374 / 38.34%
88,040 / 58.83%
548 / 0.37%
820 / 0.55%
 
 

HOUSEFIRE 1

Homeowner says arson, Fire station proves electrical overload

One man has been displaced following a house fire in the Lake Independence Area in Belize City. The fire began in the wee hours of Friday morning. 54-year-old Edgar Richards fell asleep on his couch and minutes before the fire he reportedly heard noises at the back of his home.

One man has been displaced following a house fire in the Lake Independence Area in Belize City. The fire began in the wee hours of Friday morning. 54-year-old Edgar Richards fell asleep on his couch and minutes before the fire he reportedly heard noises at the back of his home. His storage space was where the fire started and it spread throughout his home. Luckily no injuries were reported but Richard believes that the fire stemmed from an altercation involving a relative who lives nearby.

Edgar Richards, Owner of House

Edgar Richards, Owner of House: “This morning I was sleeping in my chair and suddenly I heard a cracking in my back room. In my backroom has bike parts and thing I used to fix bikes for people and things. So I heard a cracking so when I got up and I looked it was a fire I was seeing on my wall in the backroom so I tried to grab some water to out it. I ran downstairs to the pipe and I was hailing one of my tenants to help me to out this thing and this thing just got bigger and spread into the ceiling and boom my whole house burned down. Everything, about $40,000 worth of contents and everything together I would value it at. So if you see up there you will see everything that was condemned; speakers, sound system, washing machine, everything, refrige everything gone in, big stack of groceries too.” 

Despite his beliefs, Station supervisor Kenneth Mortis was able to confirm the cause of the fire to be electrical overload. HE stated that the fire began in the living room, not the storage area as Richards alleged. Mortis went ahead and stressed the risk being taken when stealing electricity. The home and all its contents were destroyed.