A small wooden house was completely destroyed by fire yesterday in Belize City. According to the owner, Floid Burgess, he was in front of his yard on Ebony Street with his friends when he smelled smoke coming from behind his house. Sleeping inside the small wooden structure was his nephew, Orlando Burgess. According to the owner the incident occurred around 4 pm but was extinguished quickly due to rapid response from firefighters.
Floyd Burgess, Homeowner: “I don’t know if the man was sleeping in there and was smoking a cigarette and he fell asleep and the cigarette fell out of his hand and started catching the sponge but later on now when he was conscious it was because the house was already on fire. Instead of him coming to help us he called us to help him because he was trying to out it by himself. We were at the front and we were smelling this thing burning and when we ran to the back here the house was already on fire. So we got water and tried to out it and keep it from burning up there. We couldn’t stop this from burning down but we could stop this other one from catching fire. My friends were here as well, that is why it didn’t catch because my good friends gave me a hand. The firemen came in time and they helped us to keep it under control. The children’s jerseys, their boots and things, now I would want a little hand to get back their jerseys because they already came here to cry about their boots and whatnot. Those are kids, we have a football team for the kids, under thirteen, now I don’t know what I will tell them now because the first thing they are crying about is their jersey.”
Floid Burgess noted that no one sustained any injuries and if you want to assist him he can be contacted at 638-6274.