Minister Provides Update on Minimum Wage

Minister Provides Update on Minimum Wage

It has been about two and a half months since the minimum wage increased to five dollars per hour, which was a crucial component of the Briceño Administration’s Plan Belize mandate. This increase was met with backlash from the business community, which had been pushing for GOB to hold off on the implementation of this policy. However, the Minister of Labor, Oscar Requena, says that workers are rejoicing over the government’s decision to increase their wages. The long-awaited increase is believed to have directly benefited over thirty thousand employees and their families. Minister Requena says that this is a positive step in improving the lives of Belizeans.

Hon. Oscar Requena, Minister of Rural Transformation, Community Development, Local Government and Labour: “Do a poll to talk to the employees out there and I’m certain they’re going to tell you that they’re very happy that the minimum wage was raised to $5. In fact some of them will tell you you know it ha to be increased even more because the reality is that the cost of living has gone up, inflation you know is of great concern but as a government we’re working together to see how we can address those issues but ultimately you know having over 30,000 employees benefiting directly and their families you know speaks to how important this minimum wage increase was.” 

The minimum wage in Belize was increased from three dollars and thirty cents to five dollars on January 1, 2023. 

Related post

Decades After Brutal Murder, Sandra Ruiz’s Killer Sentenced to 30 Years

Decades After Brutal Murder, Sandra Ruiz’s Killer Sentenced to…

The details of the brutal killing of Sandra Ruiz in 2008 resurfaced in court today when her killer appeared for a…
Major Gang Bust: Drugs, Weapons Seized, Three Men Remanded

Major Gang Bust: Drugs, Weapons Seized, Three Men Remanded

Three Belize City gang members are at the Hattieville Ramada after being busted with several deadly weapons and kilos of illicit…
Exhibit Keeper in Cannabis Candy Scandal Faces New Charges

Exhibit Keeper in Cannabis Candy Scandal Faces New Charges

In April 2023, police exhibit keeper, thirty-eight-year-old Mario Bustillos made headlines after he improperly disposed of cannabis-infused candies that wound up…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *