A fire destroyed contents of a concrete building late last night on Raccoon Street in Belize City. Sixty eight year old Evadney Scott used the building to generate income. Her and her sons would sell pastries, clothes and upholstery in the building. Last night while Scott was in her home she heard someone yelling; that was when she realized that her shop was burning.
“I was sitting in the chair playing on the tablet and I heard a noise and when I looked out I didn’t see anything and I stopped and I went back to sit down and me and my great grandson went down to sit and talk when I looked again some of the friends were in the yard, they didn’t see anything. I only heard them shout out “Fire!” and by the time we looked out we saw the big ball of fire in the shop. From there everything went up and it’s a lucky thing we have good neighbors because they came in and assisted us very fast.”
“So everything inside was destroyed?”
“Nearly everything was destroyed. The best part of the things like the clothes I had for sale and the chairs and things were destroyed.”
Scott says when she realized her shop was on fire, she was not able to do anything, but with good neighbors they were able to put out the fire.
“I was a single parent because all the children are old now, the youngest is 29 and the others are older. So this is what I do to help myself, I don’t depend on the children I try to help myself it’s a lucky thing that I had good neighbors.”
“Do you know where it started from?”
“It started from the inside, I don’t know what part of the inside because when I heard noise I only came outside and went back inside to relax. I don’t know how it started because the only thing I heard was a scratching noise and then the fire went up so I can’t say what started anything.”
If you would like to assist Scott you can contact her at six-six-nine-four-two-six-four.