Over the weekend, two homes in Belize City was completely destroyed by fire. The first one was on Mahogany Street in the wee hours of this morning. Kenneth Mortis, station supervisor gave us an update on the initial fire investigation.
Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service: “The theory is out there. We did went on the scene this morning to try to conduct an investigation to support such theory however the family probably moved a whole lot quicker than we did because when we got there majority of the remains of the building was already cleared out which posed as a hindrance to us in terms of trying to conclude what we were hearing. We heard that the fire was an apparent intentionally set one whereby old lumber and tires and so forth was placed under the building and lighted with Mr.Lester in there. Like I said the remains of the initial part of the building that the fire started from was already cleared out hence it hampered our investigation but that doesn’t mean to say it’s closed there from our standpoint. We still plan on doing some sample collecting to ascertain if any sort of accelerant was used to support such theory.”
On Friday night a home on Partridge Street in Belize City was also burnt down leaving over twenty persons displaced.
Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service: “The fire was one of a kind. Again when we arrived we observed four of the eight rooms that was on fire. Even though we were hindered by the fireworks caused by the electrical wiring we managed to eventually bring that fire under control and fire fighting operations continued until the building was totally extinguished. Through the investigation we learnt that the eight room apartment structure that housed eight families, twenty persons in total was displaced by that fire age range from two years to seventy five years of age. We can conclude that that particular fire started from the number one apartment of that apartment complex and thereby spread and consumed the balance of the building. We can also conclude that the fire started as a result of the parents of the children left them unattended whereby the 4-year-old for that family was playing with a lighter and therefore caused fire to the structure that eventually caused the balance of the building to be destroyed and left the balance of the family members displaced. Yes we had the canal that was right in front of the structure and in lifting operation in trying to continue sustain the flow of water to the fire scene unfortunately our primary truck sustained some mechanical damage that prevented us from doing so hence the initial suppression of the fire had then rekindled. After doing some restrategizing and different techniques that was when we finally managed to contain a continuous flow of water to the fire scene.”