Listen Live On Our Live Stream or Tune To Our Frequencies: 88.3 FM | 88.9 FM | 94.7 FM | 95.1 FM | 98.1 FM | 98.5 FM

Victim of fatal shooting drives himself to the hospital before succumbing to injuries

Shortly after eleven o’clock on Wednesday night, a vehicle crashed in the Lion’s Club parking lot adjacent to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City. First responders initially believed that it was a traffic incident but, when medical personnel examined the body of the driver in the vehicle, they realized he had been shot. He has been identified as 27-year-old Kemmar Wade, a resident of Belize City. Police have launched an investigation. Dalila Ical has the story.

Police report that Kemmar Wade was driving his gray Saturn car on Saint Jude Street when he was shot. The 27-year-old customer service agent was only a few yards away from where he lived. It is still unclear whether he was shot first and then got into his car or if he was already inside, but Inspector Wilfred Ferrufino of the Crimes Investigation Branch in Belize City says they believe Wade attempted to seek medical attention after he was hit.

Inspector Wilfred Ferrufino, Crimes Investigation Branch: “As far as we know he drove himself to the hospital or to that area where he was found.”

Wade had sustained a gunshot wound in the back of his head, left upper rib cage and left forearm. Wade made it near the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, crashing into the Lion’s Club parking lot. First responders thought it was an accident but medical personnel who responded soon realized that was not the case.

Inspector Wilfred Ferrufino, Crimes Investigation Branch: “Initially the information received was that it was a road traffic accident or the injuries were consistent with a road traffic accident. Upon examination of the driver of a vehicle that was in that parking lot it was discovered that he had sustained gunshot injuries to the head and body. He was pronounced dead on the scene by doctors who were giving him medical treatment.”

At the morning’s press brief, police said the investigation was still in its preliminary stage and they are still working on Wade’s profile, whether he was targeted and why.

Inspector Wilfred Ferrufino, Crimes Investigation Branch: “The investigation has revealed some information in regards to him. He is not know to police. The investigation is ongoing at this point and we will be looking into all aspects of the investigation.”

Wade lived alone in a section of a wooden house. One of his neighbors, who declined an interview, said he last saw Wade alive between 9:30 and ten o’clock Wednesday night. He and his family later heard gunshots ring out in the area around eleven o’clock. They woke up this morning to the news of Wade’s death.