Corozal Police Probe Fatal Shooting of 55-Year-Old Man

Corozal Police Probe Fatal Shooting of 55-Year-Old Man

Police in northern Belize are investigating a fatal shooting that claimed the life of a 55-year-old man in Corozal Town.  Reports indicate that the incident occurred shortly after 8:40 last night.  Police were called to the community hospital where they observed the motionless body of 55-year-old Santos Antonio Escobar, who had sustained multiple gunshot wounds.  Police say the motive behind the attack remains unclear at this time. Staff Officer for the Belize Police Department, Stacy Smith, provided an update earlier today, noting that investigators are still working to establish why Escobar was targeted.

Stacy Smith, Assistant Superintendent of Police: “The investigation commenced on Tuesday 21st April 2026 at around 8:40pm when Corozal Police were advised of a shooting incident on Fifth Street Corozal Town. The officers were advised that the shooting victim was rushed to the hospital for medical attention. Officers visited both the scene of the incident and the hospital. What the investigation has so far revealed is that on the mentioned date and time, Mr. Escobar was along with two other persons socializing in front of a residence when a male person approached them and fired several shots. Whilst Mr. Escobar was injured and later succumbed to that injury, two other persons escaped unscathed. We have retrieved a number of video footages that we are hoping to be of assistance in the ongoing investigation, no motive has been established so far. It’s an ongoing investigation as I stated, no motive has been established. However, we do know that there was another shooting incident at that very location on 9th of March and on that occasion we did not get much from the person whose house was shot up. However, we are investigating to see if there is any nexus between those two incidents.”

Authorities say the investigation remains ongoing as they continue efforts to identify and detain the person responsible.

Related post

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at Turneffe Atoll

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at…

The Government of Belize has signed a major conservation agreement aimed at permanently protecting approximately seventeen thousand acres of nationally significant…
PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

Prime Minister John Briceño says Cabinet’s rejection of BTL’s proposed acquisition of Speednet Communications was a collective decision and not one…
Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

While the joint unions are calling for the immediate removal of BTL Chairman Mark Lizarraga, Prime Minister John Briceño is questioning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *