Victim of Belize City Bus Terminal Incident Awaits Follow-up on Injuries and Medical Costs

Victim of Belize City Bus Terminal Incident Awaits Follow-up on Injuries and Medical Costs

Fifteen days ago we reported on the deterioration of the Belize City bus terminal that led to two women being injured as portions of the concrete roof disintegrated and fell on the women.  The women were taken to the hospital for medical treatment.  One of the women, Petronila Pop, remains in an arm sling tonight after sustaining injuries to her right arm.  Despite a commitment by the Chief Transport Officer, Leon Gentle, to follow up on the women’s condition, Pop says no one has reached out to her to make checks on her recovery or costs.  

Petronila Pop, Victim: “It’s been over two weeks actually and nobody has ever reached out to me or not to assist me in any way possible. The manager of the terminal had promised that he would help me but so far to no avail. I call to no avail you know. My deepest concern is that why at the KHMH they didn’t find anything wrong with my hand. It was until a week after with all the pain and what I am going through that I decided to go to the hospital on my own and there was where I found out that I had a dislocated arm. Yeah, and the doctor recommended that I see an orthopedic specialist. And so that is where I went and, you know, but they tried to put it back in place, but like the orthopedic specialist told me it was already a week. And the damage that I believe it damaged my tendons because they tried to put it in place, but the pain was so severe. I couldn’t even walk, you know? I couldn’t even walk. I couldn’t even move my arm.”

The incident occurred on Thursday, September 12 at the Belize City bus terminal./

Related post

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at Turneffe Atoll

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at…

The Government of Belize has signed a major conservation agreement aimed at permanently protecting approximately seventeen thousand acres of nationally significant…
PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

Prime Minister John Briceño says Cabinet’s rejection of BTL’s proposed acquisition of Speednet Communications was a collective decision and not one…
Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

While the joint unions are calling for the immediate removal of BTL Chairman Mark Lizarraga, Prime Minister John Briceño is questioning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *