Belize Prepares for Haiti Deployment Amid Soldier Concerns Over Allowances

Belize Prepares for Haiti Deployment Amid Soldier Concerns Over Allowances

While a date has still not been set for when additional forces from Belize will be deployed to Haiti, Cabinet will be brief on the troops’ state of readiness next Tuesday. Last year, 31 BDF soldiers and 20 members of the Belize Coast Guard were sent to Jamaica to train for deployment to Haiti. However, since then only two Belize Defence Force (BDF) troops have travelled to Haiti to join the Kenyan-led security mission. Additionally, some of the soldiers scheduled for deployment have expressed concerns over the allowances they will receive, stating that allowances are insufficient. This week, Prime Minister John Briceno responded to the apparent concerns and provided an update on Belize’s efforts to assist the island-nation.

John Briceño, Prime Minister of Belize: “I know that we will be paying them the allowances and we have made the allocation within the budget for that deployment which will include the allowances and at the moment we are in the process of purchasing what they call the kits that each of these soldiers would need. The Minister Marin  just yesterday after cabinet said to me that he wants to bring, he wants to come to cabinet on Tuesday, next Tuesday to give a full update as to the state of readiness and whether we are prepared to move. So we’re working on that. But at the same time with something that we have to be very careful as to how we do this. Unfortunately, things continue to spiral out of control in Haiti. And we also, whilst we want to do our part, we want to help our brothers and sisters in Haiti. We have millions of innocent people being trapped and being taken advantage of. We also have to think about our people, that whoever we send to Haiti that they will also be safe and that can provide whatever service we can to the Haitian people.”

Related post

Ministry of Defence Moves to Report Former BDF Officer to Police

Ministry of Defence Moves to Report Former BDF Officer…

With a second call for criminal charges to be laid, Chief Executive Officer Francis Usher says the Ministry of Defence is…
Auditor General Report Revives BDF Military Tourism Fraud Case

Auditor General Report Revives BDF Military Tourism Fraud Case

The newly released Auditor General’s Report for 2017–2018 has caused a case of suspected fraud to resurface.  The 10-year-old incident involves…
Auditor General Flags Hundreds of Thousands in BDF Financial Irregularities

Auditor General Flags Hundreds of Thousands in BDF Financial…

The concerns raised in the 2016/2017 Auditor General’s Report go well beyond the money collected for jungle training.  Chapter Five points…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *