Ex-Officer Challenges Dismissal: Jerome Ingram Appeals Police Tribunal’s Decision

Ex-Officer Challenges Dismissal: Jerome Ingram Appeals Police Tribunal’s Decision

Former Police Corporal Jerome Ingram is challenging his dismissal from the Belize Police Department in court. Ingram, who was attached to the Roaring Creek formation, was one of three officers charged internally by the department for soliciting a bribe on March 10. The three officers were later found guilty at an internal tribunal. However, while Ingram was ultimately dismissed from the department, the other two police officers were reinstated and transferred to San Pedro and Belize City respectively. His attorney, David McKoy has explained to Love News that since they are appealing the decision made by the Police Commissioner, they now have to go through the Belize Advisory Council.  He noted that the appeal has since been filed to the council, and that a counter appeal to the Attorney General’s office based on an initial appeal made.  Attorney McKoy has coined the matter as egregious and is hoping that the commissioner’s decision would be viewed as unjust.

David McKoy, Attorney for Jerome Ingram: “We find that this is somewhat of an injustice that is being levied by the police department against Mr.Ingram and I think common sense can dictate to anybody that if you are convicted for the same offense, or three persons convicted for the same offense and they face the same penalty why then should they be treated differently. Now the argument can be made well because my client was a corporal of police he had a higher responsibility than the other two however they were all placed on interdiction as I mentioned. So it was not as if though they were given a slap on the wrist fine. And as a matter of fact to be clear the adjudicator did not recommend dismissal for my client, he recommended reduction in rank and fine. Somehow the matter has gone to dismissal and again as I indicated the other two officers are currently working. Hence I am saying my client should have been afforded an opportunity to be reinstated just like the other two. What is the reason behind his dismissal and the other two’s reinstatement when again and I cannot labour more on this point that all of them were convicted of the same offense and placed on interdiction.”

McKoy says the process began in October with the initial filing of the appeal to the Office of the Attorney General.  A response was given last month with Attorney McKoy filing Ingram’s counter-response yesterday and now awaits a date for the matter to go before the council.

Related post

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at Turneffe Atoll

Government signs agreement to protect 17 thousand acres at…

The Government of Belize has signed a major conservation agreement aimed at permanently protecting approximately seventeen thousand acres of nationally significant…
PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

PM Briceño Says Cabinet Collectively Rejected BTL-Smart Deal

Prime Minister John Briceño says Cabinet’s rejection of BTL’s proposed acquisition of Speednet Communications was a collective decision and not one…
Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

Prime Minister questions the call for Mark Lizarraga’s resignation 

While the joint unions are calling for the immediate removal of BTL Chairman Mark Lizarraga, Prime Minister John Briceño is questioning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *